What Do You Know About Burns?
Burns can occur anytime of year, but the summertime can hold special hazards because many of us are outdoors doing yard work, grilling, or boating. Learn more about burns by taking the following quiz.
1. Which of these facts is true about burns?
2. What are the main causes of death among people who initially survive a severe burn?
3. Which of these population groups has the highest risk for burns?
4. Burns are classified by degrees from first to third. Which of these describes a third-degree burn?
5. You should seek medical help immediately if a second-degree burn is larger than 3 inches in diameter, or if the burn is located on certain areas of the body. Which parts of the body can be critical?
6. Electrical burns can be caused by household current, certain batteries, and lightning. What should be done first after a person experiences an electrical burn?
7. In the case of a chemical burn to the skin, how should the affected area be treated?
8. How should the eye be treated if a chemical splashes into it?
9. Which is a common cause of a gasoline burn?