What Do You Know About the 'Choose My Plate' Eating Plan?
The federal government's personalized food plan – called Choose My Plate – is the latest version of a guide to good nutrition that started years ago with the Four Food Groups. Find out how much you know about the current dietary guidelines.
1. The Dietary Guidelines for Americans were developed to make people aware of the food groups that make up a healthy diet. Which of these organizations developed the guidelines?
2. The guidelines were designed to focus attention on which of these?
3. Most of your daily food calories should come from which of these groups?
4. The amount of milk and other dairy products recommended is listed in cups in the dietary guidelines. Which of these equals one cup in the milk group?
5. How many cups of vegetables do the guidelines suggest per day?
6. Which of these represents one cup from the vegetable group?
7. Dry beans, eggs, and nuts are in which food group?
8. The amount of oil you are allowed each day depends on your age, gender, and amount of physical activity you get. Which of these foods is naturally high in oil?