Take the Tetanus Quiz
Tetanus, or lockjaw, is an infection that affects the nervous system. Most children are immunized against it, but that immunity wears off with time. Adults need a booster shot to maintain their immunity.
1. Tetanus is caused by a virus.
2. In the United States, most cases of tetanus are found in people who are over 60.
3. Adults should get a tetanus booster once every five years.
4. Tetanus is a contagious disease, passed from one person to the next.
5. Symptoms of tetanus infection include headache and difficulty swallowing.
6. Once you have completed your childhood series of tetanus shots, you are protected from future infections.
7. You should see a doctor if you get a deep wound.
8. Symptoms of tetanus infection appear within a day of exposure.