Health care is best when patients, their families or representatives all participate in the care. By fulfilling these responsibilities, you can contribute to the effectiveness of your care. Patients are responsible to:
- Provide complete information regarding health problems that you have had and medications, vitamins and other supplements you may be taking.
- Carefully follow the directions of the health care team. Ask your nurse or caregiver any questions that you have about your care needs, safety or other concerns.
- Avoid behaviors that may be irritating or disruptive to others; abide by hospital rules and regulations.
- Provide the hospital with copies of Advance Directives if you have them and if you want them to be followed in the event of terminal illness or if you are unable to speak for yourself.
- Be prompt to pay hospital bills, to ask questions concerning the bill and to provide the information necessary for insurance processing.