Yield: 4 - 6 servings (2 fajitas each) | Prep: 15 mins. | Ready in: 1 hour | PDF version
What you need:
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 small or 1 large onion
- 3 bell peppers, any color
- 1 pound (16 ounces) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium lime
- 8 to 12 6-inch tortillas (corn or flour – your choice)
- 1/2 cup low fat sour cream (optional)
- 1/4 bunch cilantro (optional)
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix all spices for fajita seasoning (chili powder, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, sugar, and salt) in a small bowl and set aside.
- Cut onion and bell peppers into 1/4-inch wide strips. Place in a large 13x15-inch casserole dish or a large baking sheet.
- Slice chicken breasts into very thin strips and add to baking dish with the vegetables.
- Drizzle vegetable oil over chicken and vegetables; then sprinkle fajita seasoning mix over top. Toss ingredients until everything is well coated in oil and seasoning.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, stirring once half way through.
- Squeeze juice from half of the lime over top of meat and vegetables after taking mixture out of the oven.
- While fajita mix bakes, either warm tortillas or toast tortillas in a dry skillet over medium-low heat, until lightly browned on each side.
- Scoop a small amount of fajita mix into the center of each tortilla. Top with a few sprigs of cilantro, a dollop of sour cream, and an extra squeeze of lime if desired.