Yield: 4 servings | Prep: 20 mins. | Ready in: 50 mins. | PDF version
What you need:
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- ½ large onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, deribbed and minced
- 1 tablespoon ground chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 (14 ½-oz) can no-salt add diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 2 (15-oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Fresh cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
- Chopped scallions (for garnish)
- Reduced fat sour cream (for garnish)
What you do:
- Heat oil in large saucepan. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic and jalapeno pepper. Sauté until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add chili powder, cumin and oregano and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add canned tomatoes, tomato paste and 1 cup water. Stir until blended.
- Stir in black beans and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Serve garnished with the cilantro, scallions and a dollop of sour cream, if desired.
Original recipe from the American Institute for Cancer Research (AICR).